Blogging - a vent, a process, a development

Blogging - a vent, a process, a development
Cheryl and I on a tandem bike we rented on Cat Ba Island, Vietnam during our wonderful honeymoon

Hello, and welcome to our adventures, misadventures, and general musings

Cheryl and I are now living in our little house on the prairie and are enjoying the non-stresses of small-town life. We miss our friends and family and love it when they are in touch.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Arrival in Chiang Mai

We arrived in Chiang Mai airport, got our luggage an awaited our wedding planner. She came along with her previously Canadian husband. They immediately fell into the role of organizer, and host. Our first stop was at the consulate's office. However, the consulate's office was closed likely due to the Thai clock factor. The Thai clock is one that gives or takes time at will (part of a larger explanation to be concluded another time). Jit, our delightful wedding organizer, then took us for a tasty cup of tea whilst we waited for the consulate.

After our initial paperwork with the consolate, Jit and her husband took us for a breakfast at a quaint nook. This restaurant was like many in Thailand, semi-open air, put together with various materials including a sheet metal roof, with sounds of traffic and roosters accompanying the ambiance.

After breakfast Jit and her husband continued to host us by driving us to a tailor to pick out material and have me measured for my suit and to any other place we would wish. We appreciated their hospitality, but we requested to rest at our hotel as we were still quite jetlagged and had not rested the previous night.

Over the next two days Jit and her husband continued to drive for us, offer their expertise, and ensure that we were prepared for the wedding.

I must say I was very impressed with the tailor they provided. Arriving at the tailor I was once again reminded that I was no longer in Kansas as I noticed the torn up couch in the foyer the dirty pants and loud shirt worn by the tailor, and the geckos crawling on the wall. Despite all of these aspects the context of Thailand is very outside of the North American sphere, and so, I felt the place would be okay. I was not disappointed. The suit fit like a glove and 'suited' me quite well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to give you our congratulations,Joy showed me the pictures of your lovely wedding.We are very happy for you and wish you everything that is good and happy in your new life together.
Sincerely Sandra and Ernie Casper