Blogging - a vent, a process, a development

Blogging - a vent, a process, a development
Cheryl and I on a tandem bike we rented on Cat Ba Island, Vietnam during our wonderful honeymoon

Hello, and welcome to our adventures, misadventures, and general musings

Cheryl and I are now living in our little house on the prairie and are enjoying the non-stresses of small-town life. We miss our friends and family and love it when they are in touch.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Merry Christmas to Everyone

It's that magical time again of giving, and receiving, and hugging, and eating, and presents under the tree...etc., etc.

But we are in Thailand! Yes, Christmas does happen in Thailand, however, there is no snow or snowmen, no carols or crappy Christmas pageants, and no two-thousand-year-old miracles. The Christmas star is blotted out by the crimson glow of the Bangkok skyline as it reflects across the smog hovering over the 8 million Buddhists snug in their air-controlled bedrooms.

There are Christians in Bangkok. Apparently Thailand is ten percent Christian, although they are a rather invisible ten percent it appers. Although I did see some decorations up downtown last night, but perhaps that was more for the purpose of attracting shoppers. Perhaps some things are still like home.

But where is the snowfall and all the other things taken for granted? I want to hear people say "Merry Christmas" to perfect strangers and actually mean it. Christmas in Canada always seems to bring out just a smidgen of goodness in people. They really hope those around them will have a merry Christmas. Maybe Jesus isn't as on the scene as some of us would like and perhaps we have stationed the holiday closer to a pagan ritual than the actual date of his birth and maybe marketing is a tighter issue than the induction of a human bridge to the almighty, but the spirit still lives on. People still feel that urgent tug in their heart. They give the paperboy a few extra dollars, they bake cookies for the neighbourhood kids that they otherwise don't find so cute, they snuggle close to the fire and think Norman Rockwell wishes to all their loved ones.

Christmas is an ideal that we aspire to. It is an idea of wellbeing and good will, of giving one's self to others and getting something in return even though it was not necessary that it be so. I personally am far more excited to give the gifts than recieve (but, hey, who's complaining about receiving?). I too, wish my family well and miss them so dearly in my heart during this time of thanks.

Even those who claim cinicism for Christmas do so usually out of spite. Scrooge was pissy because noone liked him. The Grinch was also angry because he had no friends. But each of them had the Tiny Tim, or little reindeer dog that opened the door for them to walk through, but it was their hearts that provided the final impetus for giving in to the customs of the season. But the CBC will not be airing the Grinch who stole Christmas in Bangkok this year. And most of my family will not be around the table arguing over the last piece of pumpkin pie (like there's ever a need to, Grandma always made three or more pies). I will miss the Christmas table, the tree, the snow, and the relatives that I share my blood, my heart, and my life with. They are all special to me and so is Christmas(Wow, is this ever getting sappy).

Why am I blogging about this? Because I miss my family and Jesus' birthday makes my smile when I think of them. Merry Ho Ho everybody!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a Merry Christmas to the two of you!

Mom and Dad are coming over to our apartment today to share presents. We'll be thinking of you.

cheryl and jay said...

Thanks for the note

I wish we could all sit together for the event. Next year. Thanks for the comment and good wishes.